Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, what' sup? so I have this lil problem where I get a whistling noise as I drive every now and then. I can't pin point what causes it or how often, but I do remember it would come at times right before turbo spools up. Cantstopspinnin and HTSRT know about this problem I've had but it wasn't as apparent back when they messed with my car. Now it's abit more apparent, possibly with the recent warmer weather we've been getting. Any idea?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
what bov do u have?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
boost leak?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have, a greddy type-s adjustable(starting to hate it). I had a leak around the BOV where it meets the uppipe. Possibly within the treads. I sealed it off with RTV sealant and I thought it took care of it. But I know I have a boost leak somewhere because my turbo has a steady drop in boost, spiking around 17 and consistantly dropping after all the way down to 11 or so. Maybe that does have to do with the noise. Only way I'll be able to pin point it again is with a boost leak test. Hopefully I can get ahold of one again to test it out again. I thought it was something else though but it does make sense.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i have a greddy type s that makes a whistling sound at low spools all the time

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
you got alot to check. first make sure the block off plate is tight and sealed good. next id check that coupler off the turbo that does down behind the motor that clamp sometimes gets loose (that was my boost leak) then id check the hotside pipe to the ic make sure thats nice and tight and snug. after that id check bov, pipe, and couplers. after youve done all that and made sure everythings good id check the throttle body bolts. then check the intake manifold bolts and exhaust manifold bolts. and after ALL that if it still leaks id give up lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had that same problem check the manifolds make sure that all the nuts are tight thats a big boost leak rite there once u do that and take it for a ride be carefull and watch ur boost gauge might have to turn the boost down mine went from 16psi dropin to 12psi to 22psi n holdin give that a try.... let us know what happens

·
Registered
75 Posts
you got alot to check. first make sure the block off plate is tight and sealed good. next id check that coupler off the turbo that does down behind the motor that clamp sometimes gets loose (that was my boost leak) then id check the hotside pipe to the ic make sure thats nice and tight and snug. after that id check bov, pipe, and couplers. after youve done all that and made sure everythings good id check the throttle body bolts. then check the intake manifold bolts and exhaust manifold bolts. and after ALL that if it still leaks id give up lol
:mad: beet me to it assh*l*

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
hey guys, what' sup? so I have this lil problem where I get a whistling noise as I drive every now and then. I can't pin point what causes it or how often, but I do remember it would come at times right before turbo spools up. Cantstopspinnin and HTSRT know about this problem I've had but it wasn't as apparent back when they messed with my car. Now it's abit more apparent, possibly with the recent warmer weather we've been getting. Any idea?
Hit me up next week i got like 2 days off. Il get a boost leak tester. Lmk

·
Registered
205 Posts
i have a ebay bov and dont have a prob and what clamps u using because i using t-bolt clamps. if u want to trade bov and just see if thats it just pm me

·
Registered
950 Posts
its the Type S .. hands down

it also whisltes when you have your foot off the throttle and your in vacum decelerating

you can always hear that shit ... i know every time i hear a car come in .. i know it has the type s if it whistles like that hah

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Greddy RS whistles too. Do yourself a favor and get/make a boost leak tester. I boost leak tested my car last week and found the leak in about 20 seconds. Can never hurt to boost leak test the car!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
yea i forgot about those bovs.. no matter how you adjust them they will do that. greddy rs and type s and the turbo xs rfl. they all leak lol i would still check everything i said just to make sure

·
Registered
950 Posts
well the type S doesnt leak

but when i first got it and just slapped it on without adj it ... it used to open up under vacum for some stupid ass reason

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Greddy RS whistles too. Do yourself a favor and get/make a boost leak tester. I boost leak tested my car last week and found the leak in about 20 seconds. Can never hurt to boost leak test the car!
Yeah, I will do so if I can get ahold of one. I don't have a compressor. Tony helped me out last time and we found it immediately. That was when it was coming from where the BOV meets the uppipe. RTV Sealant seemed to fix it at the time but who knows, it might of reopened. Not sure, but I never had this sound before that even. The BOV has been acting screwy lately, not always going off and different levels of pressure shooting off. It could just be going. But yeah, a leak test solves many questions immediately.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Yeah, I will do so if I can get ahold of one. I don't have a compressor. Tony helped me out last time and we found it immediately. That was when it was coming from where the BOV meets the uppipe. RTV Sealant seemed to fix it at the time but who knows, it might of reopened. Not sure, but I never had this sound before that even. The BOV has been acting screwy lately, not always going off and different levels of pressure shooting off. It could just be going. But yeah, a leak test solves many questions immediately.
Just be like every other Srt-4 owner and buy a HKS, to replace your crappy type-S. Lol

·
Banned
9,254 Posts
Tial sport 50mm bov...do that and you'll be happy... it holds redonkulous amounts of boost, reliable, and used by most of the big pros... i had the greddy type S and my car was losing way more power than i could have imagined and didnt realize it till i got my HKS... the diaphragm on the type S tends to tear and gives a small boost leak and loss of vacuum at idle... if i had to make the decision again i would get the Tial over the HKS ssqv, not too loud, but sounds good under boost, and at part throttle letting off it has a flutter sound, sounds interesting, but not as annoying...

it sounds sick

so do it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts