Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has bought the boomba blowoff valve, and saw a little or a lot of a performance difference? How is it compared to the stock blowoff valve?

ON THIER WEBSITE:
DODGE NEON SRT 4 Blow-Off Valve - $95.00

Blow off valve for Dodge SRT-4 is a direct replacement of a factory unit. It’s a full and complete atmospheric BOV with 3 springs unlike some other cheap conversion plates. Three springs allow you to set boost pressure at 13 Psi, 16 Psi or 19 Psi. Valve is characterized by a quick response time, which prevents all surges in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I doubt you will see any performance gain from this. The car stock non-venting blow off valve to protect your turbo, so this will just make the cool noise.

If you want blow off valve this might not be a bad choice because it is pretty cheap compared to a Greddy or TXS along with the hardpipes! But you could also just pick up a Mopar BOV :):shakes head::) for like $30 off the forums if all you want is the noise!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know if you own an SRT-4 or installed the Blow Off Valve conversion plate but this piece replaces the stock piece. You will still use the $30 plate if you used this to get the sound out of it. The only difference is that this is boomba's version with the spring an rubber flap. This is not a blowoff valve but more like a replacement of the stock recirculator and you will still need the blowoff plate to turn it to a blow off valve. when there is pressure in the piping then the computer puts vaccuum pressure on the spring side of the rubber flap. The thing is that I dunno how good the stock spring and rubber flap is. This would be an upgrade to that similar to a WGA upgrade where the stock leaks at low boost, I was wondering if it would be a similar performance increase.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Uh, I think you are confused a little...This replaces the stock surge valve with the Boomba valve. The boomba valve vents the air into the atmospere EXACTLY like the Mopar BOV, the only difference is that the Boomba has a spring that controls how much pressure is needed to vent this air.

You do not need the $30 plate if you buy this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But this also replaces the stock recirculator completly since it has the hose connector on the end in the picture for the pink vaccuum hose to go to? Maybe I am confused but it looks as though it would replace the end piece (not the turbo but the other end) that you sandwich the plate between. Please tell me if I am wrong because I am thinking about buying it but not if it isn't what I am thinking.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
my mopar is gay now that i read about this one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Responses to the issue from ChicagolandSrtclub.com

Dre:
"I met Kris from Boomba last week and he showed me the Boomba BOV on his car, it is quieter then the Mopar BOV. I think he said he had the 16psi spring in there. As for performance there is not much you will gain from a BOV a few HP at most, if that."

Heimbo:
"You won't gain any power from a BOV, unless it fixes a leak that your car currently has. However, Boomba products will help get you laid.:cool: "

I say it looks bad ass which might be reason enough to get it. I replied "I wasn't sure if the stock spring was weak and leaked boost at higher psi. As for looks I am going to go with Heimbo's answer and probably buy it to show it off."

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have one, works fine. sounds good when it vents at WOT.

btw, make sure you put the 16lb. spring than the 13lb.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just to confirm...this is all you need to have the BOV vent externally? No other parts need to be purchased?

·
Registered
977 Posts
It wouldnt make any sense to need the mopar and in that pic, i do not see a mopar. So i say its 100% safe to say that you do not need a mopar bov.

Plus, if you needed one, who the hell would buy this because it wouldnt do anything for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes your right. I was wrong I'll admit it but that's why I was asking. I know earlier before I knew what I was talking about I said you needed it but I was wrong sorry man. Now I know.

·
Registered
977 Posts
No problem man! Thats why u ask questions! keep them coming, this is the stuff that made the OLD (before you) SRTFORUMS awesome!

·
Registered
287 Posts
you just take off the stock surge valve and put this bov on. it's a pain in the butt putting it on though since the WGA is on the way on one of the bolts. i replaced my stock WGA the same time the bov was installed so it wasnt that bad. a ratcheting wrench will be your best friend on this one:D . putting the 16lb. spring will eliminate the pain of taking off the bov again in the future.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think we established that here already. lol. But I still read that page every time you post it! lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
vypurr said:
I think we established that here already. lol. But I still read that page every time you post it! lol
We have lots of newbs that need the info so i tend to refrence it alot. My mission in life is to spread the gosple of Jesus Christ and also to rid the world of Mopar Rice valves. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah well a blowoff does not recirculate hot air. So technically if your car is not intercooled then it would make more of a difference than on an intercooled car. The only time it does not make a difference is if your intercooler can cool off the recirculated air to outsite tempurature. An example would be a non intercooled car because now it isn't compressing hot air which then becomes hotter since when air gets compressed it gets hot. On an intercooled car it is that much less air that has to be cooled. I could see it adding as little as no hp like you say if you have a large intercooler or as much as 3hp or more if you have no intercooler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Exhaust Depot said:
We have lots of newbs that need the info so i tend to refrence it alot. My mission in life is to spread the gosple of Jesus Christ and also to rid the world of Mopar Rice valves. :)

Can't rid the world of Mopar Blowoff Valve conversion kits either since it is an opinion and cheap. That is like trying to rid the world of baseball fans into football ones, it is thier opinion and no matter what there will always be a fan.

I would personally rather have an HKS SSQV but it is expensive and hard to justify for NO HP GAIN. Why would anyone get a different blowoff valve if there is no performance gain? On the site you referenced "Getting off the porch and parting with the big boys at 18psi type BOV setups:

When you up the boost on your car, you have alot more air rushing through your plumbing. When you shift, the stock surge valve is not big enough to vent the extra added volume of air as it use to when you where at 11psi etc. When you are running high boost (18psi etc) and install a real BOV, you will notice that after the shift, the boost will stablize alot sooner and the power will recover faster vs having only a stock surge valve or having a MPFHBTRVNMWBARB installed."
If the boost will stabilize alot sooner and the power will recover faster than it is better to go with after market? That is a performance gain though correct, my hp will spike to PEAK FASTER but WILL NOT INCREASE? Basically this boomba blowoff will fix that problem then without using a block off plate and changing any piping then because of the different strength springs? I am asking questions for answers before making any modifications for the sake of doing it once and doing it right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
does anyone know if I can run the pink line from the boomba to the manifold rather than solenoid 2? This is the way that I had it when I was running my greddy type s of the cold side pipe.

I noticed when I changed the bov and went w/ boomba (which leaks mind you) and ran it the way the instructed (direct replacement of stock surge valve), the car didn't blow off until 17psi (which was perfect). But, when I changed it up and ran the vacc line to the intake manifold, she blew off in vacc but, held boost longer. When I had it setup as stock, it would spike to 17psi then drop off really quick. I've inspected by performing leak tests but the bov always leaks out the vent at 11psi. When setup off the manifold, it will boost hold at higher psi??? but, will blow-off in vacc..

i'm lost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts