Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the new iphone was premiered yesterday. interesting phone. yes you all know how much i just love apple's products and i'm not going to hide that.

i watched the presentation that was given about the new iphone, and i am impress with what the developers have been able to do. apple did virtually nothing to make this new version cool other than integrate exchange and open it for 3rd party developers to do their thing. all the new "cool" features that the 2.0 version has didn't come from apple, so i'm not going to give apple credit for them.

we all also know that even though no one (apple or rim) has come out and said it, this summer's smart phone battle is iphone 2.0 vs. bb bold. i'll be honest, i think that the iphone will outsell the bold simply because it's an apple product and people will buy it regardless of how good or not good it is.

the iphone has some cool features, but the lack of a physical keyboard and the lack of push email still are the deal breakers for me (a friend of chris's has a iphone and says that he can't switch back to a normal phone because he can type so much faster on the iphone, yet we always have to decode his texts because they make no sense. sure you can type faster, but it's not english lol). that and itunes. yes the new iphone now has push service. BUT you either have to have enterprise service to get it ($45/month) or you have to pay for a seperate MobileMe account on a consumer phone where emails get pushed through your pc/mac to your phone (not sure of pricing on that). pricing also went up on monthly service to $30 a month just like bb, so there's no price break anymore.

i found this little comparison chart of the new iphone and the bb bold. i found it interesting. i also find it interesting that none of it matters, people will buy the iphone just because it's apple and it's touch screen.

i'm also waiting to see about the "thunder". it's supposed to come exclusive to verizon BUT rumors are that there is a sim card slot under the battery and the chip set can handle all availible systems, so this phone could potentially be used on other carriers. that would be cool. as long as there's a keyboard.

thoughts?

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
stupid statement = "people will only buy the iphone because of its touch screen"

it also syncs with a variety of apple products making it easy to put in the network ring of a mac users life.

also the applications being developed for the iphone with the sdk are pretty much amazing...

if you want a phone, get the black berry

if you want a multimedia device get the iphone

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
Pretty cool comparison. I'll have both myself as soon as they are released :)

To touch base on something though. Yahoo & Gmail email are in fact PUSH without the need of MobileMe or MS Exchange. I currently have both used on my iphone 2G.

I'm honestly looking more forward to the Blackberry Bold simply because I use it alot for business. My company email is through BES so it's convinient for me & other users that use a BES server. You do have to give Apple credit however with how they are utilizing the MS Exchange service. It's worked flawless for Gov't agencies including the FBI & many Ivy league schools. The App Store is going to be huge. Yes, the developers get credit for creating them however don't forget it's Apple's SDK that allows them to make it so easy for them (cocoa touch, etc) That and the fact the UI is so simple & clean is going to generate alot of interest in the services.

All in all I'm excited for both products. It's not fair personally to compare them since they really compliment each other. It's gonna be an interesting summer ahead thats for sure & I'm looking forward to it :)

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
:gives: Ocean > Sidekick > iPhone > anything BB > Pas turds
You are so clueless it's not even funny.. Ocean Lulz.. when you get to physically try either the iPhone or Blackberry I assure you you'll have a totally different perspective. Don't even get me started on the Sidekick. :rofl:

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
people will buy the iphone becaues it's apple and it's touch screen. go ask the vast majority of iphone users about their phones and they won't have a freaking clue what the phone can or can't do lol. i know many people with that phone, and when you ask them why they bought it they all say "because it's touch screen". no one says anything about synching with ipods or anything else (what else can it synch with? a mac? last time i checked pc's were still the majority).

you have to remember pas that the average consumer is an idiot. you actually have knowledge about what products are and what they can do. most people don't.

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it synchs with itunes. what else on a mac or pc does it or should it need to synch with? i'm just trying to understand pas's point of "synching with a variety of products in the ring of a mac user's life"

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
It syncs with MS Outlook, Office, Word, Excel & soon to come Powerpoint.

People, such as myself, rely on Outlook for email, calendar & contacts.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
there's no doubt that the iPhone is a cool product. The touch screen alone is one of the major selling points. The fact that they added the ability to work with MS Exchange is a MAJOR plus for Apple. Also, the new SDK is another major bonus for developers.

Its hard to compare the BB (Bold) and the Apple Iphone because BB has had there hand in the business for years and have much more experience with this stuff. Apple has come far in just 2 phones but BB still has it, hands down.

The thing I have to give credit to Apple for is how smooth and seamless the UI is on the iPhone versions 1 and 2. BB's have much more "features" built into their phones and for that reason alone, BB > Apple iPhone :D

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
the other thing I have to add, though ... is the fact that because the iPhone is a very popular product, BB can't ignore some of the popular features it has. Do you really think that BB would have bothered making streaming video's possible on the new OS?? Hell no. Maybe down the line, they would. But the only reason they came out with that streaming video capability in OS4.5 is because the iPhone has that stupid YouTube video function.

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
from what i have read only enterprise syncs with ms products?
Incorrect

The iPhone has been able to sync with MS since the 1.0.2 FW update. Just a little education for ya ;)

And I agree with Chris. Blackberry has YEARS ahead of apple so it's not a fair comparison but it's definitely nice to see that Apple DID change the game in terms of devices. Think about it like this. Would other carriers have pushed the envelope on their current devices had it not been for the iPhone? Or would we look forward to boring old phones.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
both devices = very good, no ones saying that one is better then the other, but to put down an iphone as a gimick due to its touch screen = HOLY SHIT :)

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
amy; http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

SERIOUSLY do some research.
seriously read what i already posted. mobileme is not a FREE push serivce like bb has built in. it comes with enterprise and you have to PAY if you have a personal account. therefore it's the $30 data fee plus whatever apple will charge for mobileme. i already spoke of that in the first post. READ IT. therefore EXCHANGE ONLY WORKS ON ENTERPRISE OR IF YOU PAY SEPERATE FOR IT. gee didn't i already say that?

hozay - i'm guessing that the outlook sync is address books, calender, tasks, etc?

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
both devices = very good, no ones saying that one is better then the other, but to put down an iphone as a gimick due to its touch screen = HOLY SHIT :)
how about you get your head out of steve jobs ass for a minute and actually read what gets posted?

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
In all fairness, MobileMe is users who want PUSH email, contacts, calendar, etc through their Mac computers. So I wouldn't consider that equivalent to what Blackberry BIS plans do. And I already mention the iPhone does PUSH email via Yahoo and Gmail. Also what many Blackberry users do not know is that blackberry PUSH isn't always technically "push". It varies on how frequent you receive/check your email. If your not a heavy email user, notice that you will receive emails sometimes a good minutes sometimes hours from when it was originally sent. Now BES is a different story.

On that note again, I love both manufacturers. Now I have to go take the kids to the pool. brb

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
interseting as i've actually tested it and i have gotten emails on my bb BEFORE they showed up on my pc lol

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
if you read everything mobileme does why are you posting "it only syncs with itunes" you posted links but didnt read them. my head isnt up steve jobs' ass, i dont own nore intend to own an iphone or any pc's using a mac os.

when i said a mac users life it was a jab at you insisting only mac users would use an iphone... stop insisting the iphone is for mac users

1 - 20 of 69 Posts