Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya got them, post them up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's many reasons:
1) They are the places that are open late night, while the others are closed

2) Coffee keeps the cops awake, and get them through the night (and day)

3) Because of the above 2, the cops have a good relation with the people that work at 7-11 and Dunkin donuts. This relation keeps the cops always stopping by.

4) Also, those places are teh ones that people liek to rob. So, the cops stop by not only to say hi and get a cup of coffee (which most places give free, but most cops also leave $1-$2 tip), but also to be a presence so a potential crook won't bother them.

And contrary to popular belief, MOST cops DON'T eat donuts (don't listen to what Hozay or shows you...it's not entirely true...lol). That was so 70's. Eating donuts = fat....that's like adding a speaker box and amps to the trunk of your SRT4, while your trying to race it....it adds too much weight and doesn't move as fast. :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
So it's legal for me to have nitrous in my car in NJ as long as i have a nitrous permit and the bottle is closed correct?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I had to do some researching and found this on a website (http://forums.clubrsx.com/archive/index.php/t-140533.html):

"Upon inquiring about getting a nitrous tank filled I was told that I needed a Permit from the NJ Dept of Health. I was informed that the speedshop filled the tanks with medical grade nitrous. But, the permit and statute below applies to ALL FORMS of nitrous. They told me that you needed the permit in the car with you in case the cops pulled you over and found that you had nitrous. Nitrous is legal for use in cars in NJ and I could not find any statutes that say otherwise. With further research into the statutes I found that NJ keeps records for 2 years of your name, address, and how much nitrous you purchase. Obviously this is to prevent resale for "huffing". If caught without a premit you could face drug charges related to how much nitrous is in the tank reguardless of the type. Of course a good lawyer could possibly get you off if you have a nitrous setup in your car, but why chance it.

24:6G-1. Control or possession without written permit; prohibition; exceptions
It shall be unlawful for any person or persons, except a duly licensed physician, dentist, veterinarian, nurse, hospital, sanitarium or other medical institution, or a resident physician or intern of a hospital, sanitarium or other medical institution, to have under control or possess nitrous oxide IN ANY FORM unless the person obtains a written permit issued by the Department of Health; except that no person under 19 years of age shall have under his control or possess nitrous oxide.

I am in no way giving any legal advice in any of these posts. I am only pointing out the statutes for informational purposes."

Gary's research:
Possession of nitrous oxide is illegal in most localities in the United States for the purposes of inhaling (or otherwise ingesting) if not under the care of a physician or dentist.

Nitrous oxide injection systems for automobiles is generally legal, although using your nitrous system will likely result in speeds that are in violation of other traffic laws. Some localities also require certified system components. There are many reported instances of police officers arresting drivers of vehicles equipped with nitrous oxide injection systems on the grounds that they [the driver] intend to inhale it
------------------------------------------------
Conclusion:
IF YOU GET IT FOR YOUR CAR, DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES THAT MAY COME OUT OF IT. MODDING YOUR CAR IN ANYWAY TECHNICALLY CAN BE ILLEGAL (lights, engine mods, cat removals, etc...). NOS = SPEED = MV VIOLATIONS. Whether it is criminal or not, is a gray line.

NOS is laughing gas, which changes the psychological/physiological norms of your body. In other words, if there is a leak, you inhale it, you can possibly be charged with DUI, if it ever came to that point. Call DMV for further information. Even I am curious.

·
Registered
225 Posts
how come linden cops are assholes and have to make people leave to feel better about themselves?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Believe it or not, ALOT of those linden cops are actually very cool. hozay has told me that they don't bother you guys (and ladies) at the meet up until yesterday. you gotta remember, sometimes a cop might be having a bad day and take it out on the public. there's a saying in police (and maybe some other careers): "don't bring your problems to work"...sometimes you just don't realize it or its overwhelming.
keep me updated on what happens there w/the police. if it starts becoming a weekly thing where they start to get on you people at the meet, then i would suggest you move the meet to a different town.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
wait,so let me get this straight....

Its legal to use nitrous on the street as long as i have a permit. If this is so, ROCK ON!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
why is it so bad to have no front plate in front of your car? what if your plate has been damaged or the bracket for it broke and u have to maybe put it in your window or at least next to your driver seat, if u have a back one what is the big deal? i can understand for recognition so cops can see the plate from the front, but then when they go to pull the person over for no front plate they r just looking at the back plate, so therefore didnt even need to look at the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
And do most cops notice no catalytic converters or small things like clear side markers? Also I have 8000K HIDs which r blue r they illegal if i purchesed them for the car, if they didnt come on the car stock? Ive been pulled over quite a few times and no cops notice i have No Cats or clear side markers, is it because they arent that big of a deal? and if one or 2 people drive around like that in the area its not really hurting anybody or effecting traffic and driving conditions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
why is it so bad to have no front plate in front of your car? what if your plate has been damaged or the bracket for it broke and u have to maybe put it in your window or at least next to your driver seat, if u have a back one what is the big deal? i can understand for recognition so cops can see the plate from the front, but then when they go to pull the person over for no front plate they r just looking at the back plate, so therefore didnt even need to look at the front of the car.
Having 2 plates is mandatory by NJ law:

" 39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment

The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle;....... No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate"

Cops are only doing what they are supposed to do; enforce the law. Having no front plate allows gives them reason to stop your car as it is a violation of title 39:3-33, as stated in the above paragraph. Also, 39:4-14.3m "Failure to display plate' also applies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And do most cops notice no catalytic converters or small things like clear side markers? Also I have 8000K HIDs which r blue r they illegal if i purchesed them for the car, if they didnt come on the car stock? Ive been pulled over quite a few times and no cops notice i have No Cats or clear side markers, is it because they arent that big of a deal? and if one or 2 people drive around like that in the area its not really hurting anybody or effecting traffic and driving conditions.
Cats are mandated by federal law because of the emissions reduction and clean air act.
Basically, anything "extra" can be considered illegal. Just depends on what it is and how you use it. HID's are not DOT approved, I think, because of its brightness. to be honest, to check for cats, the police would have to go under the car or check under it somehow. I know the state police (and maybe other police too) have the Mobile Inspection Units (they can stop your car and put it through the same rigorous inspections as the DMV); it's actually manned by DMV personnel, i think: http://www.epa.gov/region02/air/sip/13_20-Sub29.pdf). Just so you know, I have HEARD the fine for no cats is pricey (like $10k pricey; maybe that's myth; i honestly don't know, but better safe than sorry).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Are police allowed to sit in a dark area with there lights completely off at night to try to catch u speeding with radar?

can i get in trouble if i get pulled over and i have something in my car such as a small foldable pocket knife, or a baseball bat in the trunk even if i was pulled over for something such as speeding?

what are the consequences & or fines to a driver of getting caught with a fake inspection sticker? Even if a shop you payed to get an inspection at gave it to you?

i am also curious about the fines you would get from getting caught without running a catylic converter, even though i know the chances of getting caught without one are probably slim.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOTSA QUESTIONS......(Curiousity killed the cat)....

Are police allowed to sit in a dark area with there lights completely off at night to try to catch u speeding with radar?
Why not? radar is radar. I think that's a myth about the police doing radar. as long as there is no interference in the radar, it's good. Nothing says (at least not to my knowledge) that police can't sit blacked out and run radar. Anyone know otherwise?

can i get in trouble if i get pulled over and i have something in my car such as a small foldable pocket knife, or a baseball bat in the trunk even if i was pulled over for something such as speeding?
Are you planning on using those as a weapon? foldable knife: when unfolded, can't be longer then your hand/palm. bat: maybe you play baseball?

what are the consequences & or fines to a driver of getting caught with a fake inspection sticker? Even if a shop you payed to get an inspection at gave it to you?
39:8-9c "A person who fraudulently obtains a certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate, or displays or has in his possession a fictitious, altered, stolen certificate of approval, rejection sticker or waiver certificate shall be subject to a find of $500 FOR EACH SUCH CERTIFICATE OR STICKER." Why, do you have one? (don't answer that!)

i am also curious about the fines you would get from getting caught without running a catylic converter, even though i know the chances of getting caught without one are probably slim.
See previous post(s). They have been answered. Not sure on the exact fines, but they are VERY expensive. In other words, better to have one on than not, or it will cost you half of your car's value. LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
E-Police NJ said:
Why not? radar is radar. I think that's a myth about the police doing radar. as long as there is no interference in the radar, it's good. Nothing says (at least not to my knowledge) that police can't sit blacked out and run radar. Anyone know otherwise?
It's the same in California CHP do it all the time. Hey bro I got a question in Cali section for post # 85. Feel free to chime in re: Sig/ID number.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just a quick question...

I didn't see a PA section but curious about it and may as well ask a NJ police officer...

Please note this hasn't happened but I've heard this before. Is it true or false that a polic officer technically needs a search warrant to search a trunk or glove box?

Not that I'd have anything to hide, I obliged an officer who asked me to open the trunk (only thing he found was my spare and my car cleaning products, lol.) Just curious b/c ppl have said (we know how legit rumors are) that a car being personal property (like a house) needs some form a warrant.

If i'm wrong forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

- Greg

·
Registered
498 Posts
I heard cops can only give speeding tickets through pacing and a radar gun.

And do radar gun's work while the cop car is moving?

This isn't car related but... If I were to get into a fight and threw the first punch and through some miracle were to kick their ass could they press charges effectively?

One last question, I heard something where police can't chase motorcycles after a certain speed for a traffic offense?

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
gpSRT said:
Just a quick question...

I didn't see a PA section but curious about it and may as well ask a NJ police officer...

Please note this hasn't happened but I've heard this before. Is it true or false that a polic officer technically needs a search warrant to search a trunk or glove box?

Not that I'd have anything to hide, I obliged an officer who asked me to open the trunk (only thing he found was my spare and my car cleaning products, lol.) Just curious b/c ppl have said (we know how legit rumors are) that a car being personal property (like a house) needs some form a warrant.

If i'm wrong forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

- Greg

I think they can search the glovebox and trunk based on suspecition(sp?). If the car owner acts wierd and might be hiding something, I think they are allowed to search the car without a warrant. I'm curious about this too. I know for a fact they can look into the car for something, but I don't know about the trunk or glove box

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.