Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

Req: Coilover comparisons...

14K views 57 replies 18 participants last post by  htheduck 
#1 ·
I'd like to see people's opinions and experiences with the various coilover setups. Examples...

Mopar Stage 3
Tien
Megan Racing
etc.

Pros, cons, comparison to stock or previous setups, adjustability, ride height, etc. Don't forget to include your wheel/tire setup as well as any other suspension related changes you may have made like sway bars, bushings, etc. as they also are a factor in the results.

Thanks!

Mod: possibly change the title of this thread after it gets going.

#2 ·
IPP 36 way adjustables. TEH SUX0R!!! Ride quality is garbage and they bounce more than a superball in a rubber room. Stock tires and rims and they still ride like ass. Only good thing about them is you can give your car that F&F look by slamming it to the ground. :woot:

#3 ·
I'll do two comparison's since I own(ed) two.

Image Performance Products (IPP) Non-Dampening Height Adjustable C/O's
Used with both stock wheels/tires & 17x7 Exel Speeds wrapped w/ Nankang 215/45/17 tires.

Pros:
Affordable
Raise & Lower car as high & as low as wanted

Cons:
Spring rates designed for Honda Civic
Very uncomfortable for rough roads
No Dampening adjustment (although available in higher model)
Lock rings will freeze up sometimes
No pillow mount must use stock

Tein SuperStreet aka Tein SS
Used with both 17x7 kyora wheels Bridgestone Blizzack 205/50/17 tires & 18x7.5 MB Motoring weapon wheels Falken Azenis RT-615 235/40/18 tires

Pros:
Most comfortable ride IMO
32 way dampening adjustment
Full height adjustment
Excellent warranty
Tein SS-P available with camber adjustable pillowmounts

Cons:
Expensive - avg cost $1350
SS model does not include Camber adj. pillowmounts

#5 ·
The KW Coilovers are the Mopar coilovers. KW makes the supsension components for Mopar. Their name branded version probably has slight adjustments to the ones offered as Mopar. I have the Mopar Stage 3's and they are just as comfortable as the Tein SS IMO. I own the S3's and I've been in two cars w/ the Teins. I love my Mopar Satge 3's and if given the chance to do it again I wouldn't get any others. Stage 3 CO's are ride height adjustable (can be slammed upon removal of stop rings) and has damper adjustments as well.

#6 ·
I know I've been leaning towards the Megan Racing because of their massive adjustability in dampening (36 points iirc) and the camber adjustable pillowball mounts, but if the Tien SS-P's do the same it'll come down to things like warranty and reliability.

#7 ·
i have IPP 36's on my car and have been in a ride wit Tein SS's a few times. It's hard to say which is better because they are both so adjustable. When i first set mine up it was bouncy as hell. Same as how the Tein SS car rides now. I've now adjusted mine to be stiffer but wit big bumps it's killer. Next weekend I'll try to find a better compromise.

It all matters how u adjust spring height, strut length, and dampening. It's trial and error.

#8 ·
I would never compare the IPP's to the Tein's. It's not even fair, trust me. IPP spring rates are for a honda civic. Not a Dodge Neon SRT-4. My car is far from bouncy, it depends on how you set them. If you have them as soft as Brad had them then yes your bouncing like your hittin' switches. :lol:

#11 ·
Camber adjustable right? front and rear? what's the warranty.

#16 ·
The megan racing c/o do have the pillow ball adj in the front. They are 32 adj. Since I'm a track kind of guy only, with i might add no money lol, it's going to take some time for me to get the suspension dialed in to run the best times. There's a lot of gizmos and gadgets on the c/o. If that makes any sense.......

#17 ·
no. this explanation really doesn't add any more sense.

but then i have to ask, don't you make all your adjustments prior to going to the track?

if you're talking about a 1/4 drag strip and you swap springs between street and strip i can see that taking time-but again, you do that prior to the event...

do the megans have the same adjustabilty for both rebound AND compression? or just rebound?

if instead you're talking about corner weighing your car i can understand. different tracks are going to require different settings. dialing in can cost money-which you indicate you don't have.

i'm looking for answers to help my research. thanks.

#18 ·
How can someone make adjustments before you are at the track? For one, you have to adjust individually for a particular track you go to and how it is running that particular day. Not everyone might be as worried about perfecting each pass as I am, all I'm saying is I want the best out of what I have without wasting time and money by making bullshit passes with a suspension that isnt properly adjusted. Therefore, yes it will be time consuming and a bit of pain since these c/o have unlimited adjustment. If that doesnt make sense, then you shouldnt race.

#19 ·
If that doesnt make sense, then you shouldnt race.
I love it when people make that statement. Immediately earns them an :asshat: award.

#22 ·
Asshat or not, some folks are asking some valid questions about your setup:

-you say there's lot's of adjustability which is a con, post #11 asks what kind pertaining to camber-NO ANSWER

-then in #16 you state the OBVIOUS: pillow ball, 32 way, gizmos, gadgets-and include the fact that you have no money

-i ask about why adjustments are a con, what type of adjustability for compression and rebound the Megans have (because i'm interested in feedback) and you proceed to tell us your how "worried about perfecting each pass"-more so than anyone and continue with some personal inefficiencies about your suspension setup. you then conclude by stating if what you type doesn't make sense, one shouldn't race.

-i ask another question #20 about what you do to adjust your suspension since I don't know what is entailed for drag racing. NO ANSWER.

You did reply to the asshat post with a greater interest than answering any of the posted questions.

#25 ·
No answers yet? This thread is killing my research.

#29 ·
I think what he is saying is that he doesn't want to tinker with them that much.......he would probably rather only have like a few different settings and choose which one rides best, instead of playing with a ton of different settings that might only make a very slight barely even noticeable change.

#26 ·
:werd:

It's still down to BC, Megan or Tein. Whoever comes up with choices in springs, adjustability, front and rear pillowball mounts and an excellent warranty is going to win. I'd rather pay more and get everything I want then pay less and be unsatisfied, or worse dissatisfied.

#27 · (Edited)
lol this is funny, and munky i have the ipps and you rode in my car and even asked me what coilovers i had because you were so surprised at how nicely my car rode, looks like you dont have them dialed in correctly mofo lol....i like my ipps, they are great for the street and the 1/4 mile strip, and im assuming a road course although ive never been to one with this car...a little harsh for someone who wants a lexus or cadillac type ride, but for anyone who is looking for some performance and understands that you must sacrifice some ride quality for some performance they are awesome

#30 ·
I guess I'll jump in here and rep for the Mopar Stage 3 coilovers.........I have had them with stock rims on like 3 different sets of tires and my current setup of 18x7.5's with 225/40 Yokohama's. I also have Goldline camber bolts, F&R Sway Bars, F&R Strut Bars and soon to install a Polyurethane LCA bushing kit. I have had the Coilovers for about 3 years now and love them. The ride is excellent, I've never ridden in an SRT with other coilovers, but I've been in cars with almost every type of Springs and the ride is a thousand times better than any spring combo I've felt. On the street I've never even messed with any settings (other than height) I just set them up on the "middle" settings and left it at that. If I hit up the track, I'd probably mess with them though.

#32 ·
i havent rode in a car car with megan c/o's yet,the bc sports are a pretty decent coilover (so far). they come with pillowball mounts with camber plates which is nice.they are inexpensive when compared to tein or mopar.i wouldnt suggest dropping the car and going full stiff on these coilovers..you might lose a few fillings

ipp coilovers are the worst excuse for a strut.i would rather stick bubble gum in my wheel well and ride on that than to suffer and length of trip on those pieces of dung

tein ss...great coilovers.i had them on my car and loved them.they gave me exactly what i needed, room to fit a big slick and the ability to tune the suspension.i really liked having these

mopar stage 3r's , another awesome c/o.not much different from the tein

#33 ·
i havent rode in a car car with megan c/o's yet,the bc sports are a pretty decent coilover (so far). they come with pillowball mounts with camber plates which is nice.they are inexpensive when compared to tein or mopar.i wouldnt suggest dropping the car and going full stiff on these coilovers..you might lose a few fillings
ipp coilovers are the worst excuse for a strut.i would rather stick bubble gum in my wheel well and ride on that than to suffer and length of trip on those pieces of dung
tein ss...great coilovers.i had them on my car and loved them.they gave me exactly what i needed, room to fit a big slick and the ability to tune the suspension.i really liked having these
mopar stage 3r's , another awesome c/o.not much different from the tein
are the tein's worth the extra cash over the bc's? i found the bc's brand new for 1000 even..tein ss's (no pillowball) for 1325...megans are 900

#34 ·
Before i bought my coilovers i talked to the guy over at one of the places selling the bc coilovers... Comparing them to Megan Racing exterior wise they look the same but the internals of the BC coilovers are better and thats why they cost a lil more but all in all they are a better quality for the price.. I know a few people that bought them and love the ride...

#35 ·
i'm between the bc sports and bc inverted..i've talked to a few people about it..it sounds liek the bc inverted aren't really necesary unless i'm like a hardcore autocross guy, which i'm not..i mean i def plan on trying it..but worth the extra $150 or no?

#37 ·
Explain the need for inverted c/o's on daily driven car's please? Just not necessary..

Steve, if it were up to me Tein SS-P would be my choice. I had the Tein SS coilovers on my car as Jay did as well and absolutely loved them. The SS-P gives you the pillowmount option which is an added plus. It's a little more costly than the BC's but I feel worth the extra.

#38 ·
that was the thing..my knowledge of coilovers is not too good at all...about the teins...idk if i'd go for the tein ss-p's...if anything just the tein ss's. teins are very expensive but there obviously must be a reason since alot of people buy them. i have read alot of good things about bc's and i just thought i could save some $

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.