Dodge SRT4 Forums - SRT4mation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antifreeze fell on the power steering belt/gear. The squeeking that started soon thereafter is getting on my last nerve. I tried belt dressing (yes I know, it'll get worse/will come back). I tried wd40 (went away for a little while, then came back). What the heck can I do to get the squeeking to go away?:

Change the belt? It sounds like the squeeking is coming from the inside and outside of where the gear is bolted.

Adjust the belt? I heard it's a matter of loosening one 15mm bolt and tightening a 13mm adjustment bolt, then tightening the 15mm bolt again?

Crayon or candle trick? Rub a crayon or candle against the inside of the belt as the belt is in movement? Again, what if it's coming from the gear center.

Now I drive a squeeky Neon. How did you fellas/ladies get it to stop squeeking?

:smilie_ko

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Go to the Autopart store and pickup some belt dressing. It is a tacky spray. The other ******* trick is to run Dial Bar Soap on the belt.. If that doesnt work, remove the belt, Clean the pullies with dish soap and install a new belt.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
with the engine running use a small wire brush and hold it against the belt to clean off the crap

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
just be careful you dont drop it in or get it stuck and it will fly violently back at you

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never2muchboost said:
just be careful you dont drop it in or get it stuck and it will fly violently back at you
LoL, I learned that the hard way!!! I sprayed the belt dressing on and it flew into my face (I sprayed it while the car was running to narrow down where the squeek was coming from)... I'll try the brush cleaning tomorrow...

Thanx both of you... Will let you know the outcome...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts